The Files on the Mayfair Witches Parlor Blog

Monday, April 17, 2023

The Family Tree Does Not Fork. Much.

I have updated the Mayfair Relatedness page.  A lot.

In listing the various relations between Rowan Mayfair and several of the Mayfair ancestors, the family tree software I use seems to prefer the most innocuous description possible.  You'll see a lot of "half this, step that".  Considering the fact that it won't let me show Cortland Mayfair on the pedigree chart as Rowan's father if I have Dierdre Mayfair as the mother on it, this isn't all that surprising.

I've kept the additional relations, the ones related to Michael Curry as well, in the lists.  That is actually a large part of understanding how Rowan and Michael could have produced a Taltos with 92 chromosomes on the DNA instead of the usual human 46.

In other words, we can see more clearly how Lasher carried out his own brand of genetic engineering.  The idea was to produce a witch strong enough, mostly in terms of genetics, to be his "doorway" back into the world.

This is the kind of family tree that I wish I could figure out how to make an interactive tree, where you can click on buttons to see all of this in one tree.  And now that I've written this, I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up giving it a shot!

So far, I have focused on Rowan Mayfair.  Since Mona Mayfair was the witch with the most lines of descent, she became the new designee of the Legacy.  Mona, according to the research she did on her family tree and using her computer to count the individual lines of descent, learned she was a "twentyfold" Mayfair.  Twenty different lines of descent.

That will most likely be next.  Mona Mayfair.

Update:

Added to the page above is a link an hourglass chart I made for Rowan Mayfair from family tree software.  It is in poster format and spreads across 8 pages.

Because the software WILL not allow me to add Cortland Mayfair as Rowan's father when Dierdre Mayfair is listed as her mother, you won't see her linked to Cortland Mayfair.  Oddly enough, the Relationship Calculator still calculates based on Cortland and Dierdre Mayfair as Rowan's parents.

Assuming that Lionel Mayfair was Antha Mayfair's father, you'll see the same omission for the parents of Antha Mayfair, which lists only Stella Mayfair.  I get this charming little nastygram if I try to add either Cortland or Lionel Mayfair as the fathers of Rowan and Antha, respectively: