The Files on the Mayfair Witches Parlor Blog

Sunday, August 11, 2024

The Parlor Renders on YouTube

A short little video of Mayfair Witches house renderings...

Historical photos of the Brevard-Rice house taken in 1933 and 1964 are some of the most well known photos of the house.  A little while back, I decided to give colorization a whirl.  So I put the black and white images into an online colorization generator, playback.fm, and the results were fair to good.  Some came out looking more sepia than colorized, but I still included them in this brief little video:

Recently, image graphics made with generative AI has just exploded in popularity.  It took a bit of time, but I finally decided to give it a try.  First, I tried out text-to-image prompts on MagicStudio.  But I was looking for something a little more than mere text-to-image.

I wanted something that could take an existing image, ultimately ones exported directly from my own creations.  My own devices and software aren't powerful enough to handle rendering engines like Lumion, which can render astonishingly realistic images straight from 3D models built on software like what I use, SketchUp.  

Lumion and other rendering engines do allow for the user to decide each and every little detail and how it is to appear, which takes a lot of power.  What I wanted to find, though, is something that could at least do a simple realistic render from 2D images exported directly from my 3D models.

NightCafe, a new generative AI website, was able to do this to quite an extent.  This type of technology is still very new, so at times, I do get some wonky results.  But once I learn how to fine tune things a bit, then presets like sketch-to-image can do a pretty remarkable job.  Even with old photos.  Or photos, period.

Some of these have been shared individually on the Parlor's Instagram, and from there, shared to Facebook.  The complete handful of images I made from some of these historical photos, I decided to put together in a YouTube Short.  I've decided to share it here as well: