The Files on the Mayfair Witches Parlor Blog

Sunday, October 22, 2023

3D Model Goes Inside First Street

 


I am all kinds of excited!  I've finally gotten to a point in the project where I can provide a major update on its progress!  Much more detail has been added to the 3D model of 1239 First Street.

Now, this model is by no means finished.  I have focused a lot on structural details, like the crown mouldings, baseboards, porches, etc.  It's tough to get plain old paint to look right in a house like this, and I cannot imagine how I am going to somehow get the dining room walls to feature the murals (or any murals) the actual house has.  

Not only is the scale of the house quite massive, but the staircase is a lot more narrow and steep than what you would find in houses built in our lifetimes.  The cornices have also been quite a challenge and those are definitely not done yet!

You will see wallpaper in the rooms shown.  You might even recognize some of the wallpaper used.  One Mayfair Witches fan managed to find samples of the wallpaper used for the interior of the Mayfair house in the AMC series.  The dining room is one of those rooms.  If I can't figure out how to get a mural onto the walls in that room, I'll use the wallpaper sample that most closely shows the colors of the mural.  I'll also put the portraits of the Mayfair Witches on the dining room walls as well.  Some are already there.

They might not have the same frames in the finished version that they do now, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

One other thing from the AMC series is one of the photographs Rowan finds in Ciprien's cellphone.  On closer inspection, it is clearly of one of Stella's Roaring Twenties parties.  Photos like this were also mentioned in The Witching Hour, so I've included it here as well. 

In this update, I focused a lot on displaying smaller 3D models inspired by the novels and/or items from the novels.  You will also see one of the maps from The Witches' Companion by Katherine Ramsland displayed in the model.  

I love a good Easter egg, and this 3D model will be no different.  Very, very briefly (for now) are glimpses of a portrait of a woman in the double parlor.  This portrait is from the real life history of 1239 First Street, a portrait of Pamela Starr Clapp.  Her husband, Emory Clapp, bought the house for her as a wedding gift from Elizabeth Brevard, the daughter of the original owner, Albert Hamilton Brevard.  If I recall, Pamela Starr Clapp, who lived in the house from 1869 to her death in 1934, loved her home.  And...she is rumored to haunt the house, probably to this day.

So, I wanted to include a portrait of her in the model as well.  

Are there pictures of Anne Rice in the model?

Does a bear sh--yes, there is one, so far.  The one on the wall is one of my favorites of her.  I do want to include more, though.  Because all of this came from her, and I want the model to ultimately showcase and celebrate what she created.

In The Witching Hour, Rowan Mayfair set about having a "state of the art" phone system installed due to the house being so big.  Phones are phones, but should I reach a point where I do add the kitchen, there is one contribution that must be made.  

The phone in the kitchen will be found in the refrigerator. 

To view the short video, you may go to Come Into My Parlor In 3D or you may view it on the Parlor's YouTube channel...