The Files on the Mayfair Witches Parlor Blog

Friday, September 8, 2023

The Files on the Mayfair Witches--UPDATED

The Files on the Mayfair Witches here on the Parlor's blog will be back soon!  Of course, the main website is always available!

The Files on the Mayfair Witches menu is fully restored, which means when you click on the links under Inside First Street, you will get the actual page listed that you clicked on.  Over time, the font will be visible, too!  Which means it will be large enough to be legible.

This is the part of the Parlor that, though it is a blog version, is meant to be something of a backup to the main website.  But because I don't necessarily want to make a carbon copy, there are some differences.  They are mainly in the graphics and digital artwork.

 

This was a graphic I initially showed on this blog before I was finally able to go in and overhaul the main website.  It's also seen in this: 

And recently, I realized this could be interpreted as the Parlor cat's name being Lasher.  And hey, it could be!  Then I thought a cat named Lasher sounds like the cat that doesn't do touchy-feely, but scratchy-bleedy (kitty's just playing!), and that led to...

Me thinking of a second Parlor cat named Lestat that looks at Lasher the cat and asks, "You gonna drink that?"

Anyway.

As mentioned, I've also been doing research on the history of Saint-Domingue, a French colony that is now Haiti.  The history of this region is described in The Witching Hour because beginning with Charlotte, the Mayfairs were among the colonists who operated plantations up until the Haitian Revolution.  It was at that time that Marie Claudette Mayfair moved the family to Louisiana to escape the Revolution, and led to the establishment of the Mayfair Legacy.  

I do think there is some curiosity as to what this world would have looked like for the Mayfair Witches.  Well, I know I'm curious!  I came across this history in more detail because of a simple question of my own: what would Maye Faire have looked like?  

Maye Faire was the name of the plantation operated by the Mayfair Witches on Saint-Domingue up until the Haitian Revolution.

As I've looked, I've also thought of another branch of the Mayfairs, the one that Merrick descends from.  This is why I've been pondering parallels between her line, the Mayfairs of Saint-Domingue, and the gens de couleur libres latelyWhile I've been pondering, I have also gone back to find more on some of the images shown on the main website so I can provide it there.  

Where "there" is has changed a bit, as I discussed a little earlier.  This information on the main website, the Mayfairs on Saint-Domingue, does have its own page, now.  I've added bits and pieces as I've gone along, and, as usual, added links to sites, pages and PDF documents I think will provide more historical details for those who are interested in the history of this region and time period.

It's been interesting trying to find images of what a plantation on Saint-Domingue might have looked like.  Apparently, some ruins have survived, and one former sugar plantation is now the site of an historical museum.  I've got some information on those, but haven't had much of a chance to add it.  I think it would be very interesting, though...