The Files on the Mayfair Witches Parlor Blog

Thursday, September 28, 2023

1239 First Street In 3D

After sorting through my project files, I've been able to make some progress building a 3D model of 1239 First Street.  This is a challenging project for several reasons, most of which have to do with structural details.  For someone like me who is a native of the Pacific Northwest, I'm pretty used to houses with much lower ceilings (vaulted ceilings are popular here, though).  So, the first challenge is the scale of a house like this.

There are three different types of columns on the front gallery of the Brevard-Rice house, but only one of the three types, Doric, is not fluted.  The Ionic and Corinthian fluted columns and capitals are definitely a recognizable feature of this house.  Then, there is the iron lace that is iconic in New Orleans architecture.

It took a bit of time, but I was able to find pieces that were used to create the iron arches and balcony rails.  When I resumed the project, that was actually where I started.  They are a detail of the house that cannot be substituted with anything else.  Beginning with features like this tends to help me go from visualizing to creating as I make progress.  

Even the roof is something of a challenge!  A peaked roof with parapets that have cornices on them...that are right over the front gallery.  As I was going over the house's details, I realized that what would ordinarly be chimneys seems to be something else.  I can only imagine it has something to do with a detail mentioned in The Witching Hour--fireplaces fitted for gas?

The front door is actually recessed a couple of feet from the Egyptian keyhole frame.  I went back in and redid this part in the 3D model of the doorway that I'd already made.  The model still has a long way to go, but I am making video updates and embedding them--one at a time--on the page of the Parlor, Come Into My Parlor In 3D.

The project updates are at the top of the page on the Parlor.

Oh, and I've made a new key for the front door.