The Files on the Mayfair Witches Parlor Blog

Wednesday, August 9, 2023

The Parlor Blog Menu; Fan Fiction

The Parlor on Fan Fiction

There are a few things I want to discuss, so this post might be long.  My favorite.

I'm kidding!  Anyway...

The Parlor Guestbook

This adorable familiar--I mean cat--shows my reaction to seeing that someone has attempted to bring trash into the Parlor in the form of spam in the Guestbook.  And the Parlor's position on fan fiction, but I'll get into that later.

So, for those who do look at the Guestbook, I'm afraid I have had to remove the ability to view the Guestbook.  Anyone (who is not littering the Parlor with spam of any kind) can sign the Guestbook, most certainly.  However, I will be the only person who is able to view it from now on.

It isn't such a terrible idea when privacy concerns are taken into consideration, though.  I must apologize to you, my Guests, for not addressing this sooner.  

The Parlor Society Pages

I am not completely inaccessible, however.  Social media has been something fairly new to the Parlor this year, if not necessarily new to me (groan).  Social media does have a lot of positives to offer, however.  It can be a means of engaging with you, the Parlor guests, and a way for you to offer feedback (please do!) on the Parlor's content.  This is why I decided to go ahead and connect the Parlor to social media. 

Email is considered private correspondence, so if you feel most comfortable sending me an email, the Parlor's email address is comeintomyparlor1995@gmail.com.

The Blog Version of the Parlor

If you look on the blog version of the Parlor, you might begin to notice that several of the pages in the drop down menu under the banner have returned.  The blog version functions as something of a backup to the main website and the layout of the pages and a lot of the graphics are different.  I've decided to keep it like that to avoid too much redundancy.

For example, the Mayfair Witches gallery.  On the blog version, you'll see the animations with the original gold frame I started with.  On the main website, you'll see different frames and many of the Mayfair Witches can be seen more close up.  

Not all of the links are back, as I am working gradually towards returning the content that discusses the Mayfair house.  There are a lot of fascinating things Anne Rice included in her novels about the Mayfair Witches, and her Vampire Chronicles novels the Mayfair Witches appeared in.  I do hope you'll take a look at those areas of discussion as well.

Merrick and The Feast of All Saints

Yesterday, I was paying a visit to Anne's Facebook page, which is lovingly maintained by her son, Christopher Rice.  There was a post of an image of the hardcover novel, Merrick.  And I remembered something.

For a while, I've been meaning to reread this particular novel.  I was going over some of it for Merrick's branch of the Mayfair family tree when I recalled that there were a few details Merrick shared about her early life and family that reminded me of The Feast of All Saints.  That is a title I haven't read in a REALLY long time. 

To be honest, it was the TV movie that came to mind when I was reading about Merrick's collection of old family photos.  I was thinking it might be fascinating to come up with an illustration of those photos, similar to my 3D models of the Mayfair Emerald, or the jewelry featuring the cameos pictured on the hardcover of Blackwood Farm.

Coming Soon: Fan Art Versus Fan Fiction   

This brings me to the part where I explain that Part Two (or a new page or section of a page) will discuss fan art versus fan fiction.  For now, I will say that while I love fan art that is according to the vision of Anne Rice, I am not and never have been a fan of fan fiction.  Since I want to take the time to go into detail about these two things, I will discuss that topic separately.  

The issue of fan fiction has been the topic of some recent discussion on social media.  I really do think it's important to discuss that topic, why fan fiction is a concern, and what my approach to these things actually is.  To do that, I'll need to go into some detail.  Please do keep an eye out for it!