The Files on the Mayfair Witches Parlor Blog

Thursday, February 2, 2023

The Original Website and Some Episode 4 Musings

I have been busy with the next phase of this project that is a rebuild of the original website, Come Into My Parlor.

If you go to the site now, things are a little kooky!  However, I have been making backup files and .html copies of the pages and media on the site.  I no longer have it on the www.comeintomyparlor.com domain.  

The URL to get to it is https://mayfair95.tripod.com/index.html

I am trying to go through the Site Builder to remove media since Tripod allows 20MB of data if it's a free site.  Unfortunately, a free site means you will have to contend with annoying ads.  Since I do want to keep the original site up and connect to this blog, which is the site in blog format, I don't plan to shut it down completely.

When I was able to see the guest book, I saw some truly heartwarming messages, and they continue until the present day!  I wanted to take a moment to say to the many people who have enjoyed my site over the nearly 15 years since it began: THANK YOU!

I am looking into archiving the site on the Internet Archive, if I can.  If/when I do, I'll provide a roadmap to that, as well. 

Now, about the new series...

MAAAAAAAAAAAN, nobody set the house on fire in the books!  According to Gerald Mayfair, he was asked to burn the house down after Carlotta's death.  He said he would, but he said it only to pacify Carlotta.   

Here is something interesting about the funerals shown so far. 



Above is a scene from the funeral procession in New Orleans that Rowan finds herself in the midst of.  Looks like a New Orleans cemetery most recognize.  Above ground crypts in family tombs, many of them, and all close together.  In the books, the Mayfair crypt is in New Orleans.

But did anyone notice that the Mayfair crypt was not in a New Orleans cemetery?



Instead, Deirdre's funeral procession is to a crypt that seems to be by itself, not in a cemetery.  Certainly not in a New Orleans cemetery.  It looked rural.  It was a moment both my mother and I watched and went, "What."

I wonder why the Mayfair family mausoleum seems to be in a rural area, basically in the middle of nowhere in the series?  Perhaps depicting where the Mayfairs laid their dead to rest before they ever lived in New Orleans?  Perhaps it's supposed to be on land still owned by the Mayfairs but no longer a plantation...like, say, Riverbend?

It was a bit strange to see that while the character onscreen is named Dr. Rowan Fielding, and until the day she died, the Deirdre in the series was led to believe her child had died, the name "Rowan Mayfair" is engraved on the outside of the mausoleum.  It felt almost as if the name referred to the character in the book as well as being part of the charade onscreen. 

This should be interesting--IF an explanation of that change is given.  The first image makes me doubt this has to do with filming location issues...