The Files on the Mayfair Witches Parlor Blog

Sunday, March 19, 2023

Amelia Street

I spent quite a bit of time on the Amelia Street page.  As I make my way towards distinguishing the two houses from one another, I decided to add some additional images and details about the house on St. Charles Avenue.

The details of the house come from a more recent listing on Realtor.com, and I've added a gallery of images from that listing that show the interior of the house.  It has been renovated over time, of course, but it isn't always obvious which rooms are which when they are empty.  Some are obvious, like the kitchen area, and a closet quite enormous.  

I have some more photos I might add at a later date, but hopefully, we can start to see which house is which.

At the bottom, because I couldn't help myself, I decided to put some graphics together to show what Fontevrault "looked like".  Fontevrault was the plantation established by a separate faction of Mayfairs after the duel with Julien Mayfair ended in Augustin Mayfair's death.  I managed to find a good size print of the Mass Market cover to show the listing old mansion sitting in water and added that.

Madewood Plantation House was the "prototype" used for the artwork depicting Fontevrault, and I made a graphic from an actual photo of the house...with reflecting water.

In The Witches' Companion, Fontevrault was closest to a now long gone plantation in Iberville Parish, Louisiana named Belle Grove.  This particular house is one I've been fascinated with for several reasons.  Here, I managed to find a sepia photo of the house after it had been abandoned but before it burned, colorized it, and then gave it a reflecting water effect.  If I ever decide to make it so the house is listing somewhat, I wonder which side would most likely have started to sink first?

The two plantation houses with their graphics can be found at the bottom of the Amelia Street page.

Also, if you get the chance, the graphic at the top of the page that shows the Amelia Street house in a green light has a link below it.  That will take you to the site where that image came from.  On it are many portraits of houses in New Orleans done in this beautiful way, a sort of mystic glow.  They are absolutely stunning and well worth spending the time to look at each and every one.