The Files on the Mayfair Witches Parlor Blog

Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Good Afternoon...

...The Mayfair Kitchen is up.

That about covers the pages from the original site that could be redone here.

Before I begin restoring the photo galleries (there are actually three), I'm going to be scouring the links that were transferred here from the original site.  Some of them are to pages on websites where the page no longer exists, sometimes because the site no longer exists.  I just went through the Mayfair Links page doing exactly that.  There are new links to add...lots of them!

This blog is organized a bit differently than the original site, so even the links to help navigate your way through the pages and posts of the blog need some fine tuning.  These are things I want to do before I start added a lot of new content.

Things to remember:

1.  Each link opens in a new page in your browser;

2.  The list of pages about a particular topic (for example, the Mayfair house) that are links will be at the bottom of the page rather than the top as they were on the original site; and

3.  You can always return to the Home page of this blog by clicking on the banner above. 

So look around, have fun!  If you have any comments or suggestions, there are a couple of ways to do that.  One is to leave a comment on a particular page or post.  I do moderate them myself, and all I ask is that even if you disagree, be polite...like a Southerner.  

The second is by email.  At the bottom of the menu to the right is where you can click on the book animation that will open the Contact the Parlor page.  Here, you will find the email address if you would prefer to contact me directly.

YouTube

I wanted to address the matter of YouTube right away. 

There will be a third option to contact the Parlor soon, as I am getting ready to add another type of media for content: videos.  Those will be on the Parlor's YouTube channel.  Content I make in a video format that is for the Parlor will be uploaded to YouTube and embedded here.

I'm reorganizing that channel and my next task is to change the banner and branding to its new name, Come Into My Parlor.  Hopefully, that will be done very soon.

It was my Digital Dollhouse channel, which I've retained as a section of the channel for videos of 3D models I've made.  If you watch the memorial video for Anne Rice, you might notice that the parlor, too, is a 3D model I've been working on for a while now.

If you have looked at Mayfair Witches in Pictures in the last few hours, you might have noticed I have added the trailer for the new series, Anne Rice's Mayfair Witches.  This is directly from AMC+'s own YouTube channel.  As I redo the channel art, you will see a playlist dedicated to things such as trailers and other video clips about the series on AMC+'s YouTube channel.  

What you will NOT see is me reuploading them to the Parlor's YouTube channel.  The Parlor channel does have a community tab and it does have the ability to host live streams, but this is something I have never done.  If I were to host live streams, it would not be to stream content like the trailers, video clips, and certainly not episodes as this is a policy violation and, if I'm not mistaken, a violation of broadcast regulations.  

Though I have never hosted live streams and do not appear in videos, even just doing a voice over, I have known several channels who do.  Whenever something like a movie or an episode of a TV show or documentary series or even a music video was played just for viewers to watch it together, YouTube would (and WILL) shut down the stream for policy violations.  

Channels have options for restarting streams when that happens, but it is best to avoid this.  The Parlor will abide by policy.

I do not foresee The Parlor hosting live streams at this time.  Perhaps someday, when Your Hostess does not view her webcam and microphone as demons summoned from Hell (commonly referred to as "stage fright"), there might be a venture into doing some type of commentary on various things in videos.  But let's not get carried away just yet...

Copyrights

Come Into My Parlor is and always has been US based and Fair Use is perhaps the biggest reason The Parlor and sites with content like it are able to exist.  I started this project by including a new page: Copyright Disclaimer.  

Of course, this is not a permission slip for a free for all. 

Fair Use can be tricky to navigate and it's not always clear if usage of certain intellectual property is or isn't protected by Fair Use.  The first rule of thumb is usually, "If you're including it in your own content for monetary gain, it's not protected by Fair Use".  The next one is "If you include someone's content in your own content, attribute at very least."  Third, "Even if you're allowed to use it under Fair Use and you attribute it, remove it if they ask you to.  You don't have to remove it, but it's best to do so anyway."

That's something I've always tried to do is make sure that wherever something came from, there's a reference and/or an attribute.  I often have to go back and make sure I have things properly attributed and sometimes I miss one or two.  

Graphics

I'm also working on listing some great websites I've used to make some really nifty graphics for the site on the pages you see those graphics on.  Like these two pages: The Witching Hour - The Mayfair House and Come Together - The Mayfair Witches.  

The graphic artist who made the image of the painting of Deborah Mayfair that you see at the top of the Mayfair Witches page has also made some images of other Mayfair Witches.  I need to find that site so you can see them as they are fantastic!

Once again, feel free to look around and enjoy!

~ The Parlor