The Files on the Mayfair Witches Parlor Blog

Tuesday, April 16, 2024

Family Jewels: The Mayfair Emerald

 One of what has become an iconic symbol of a family of witches is the Mayfair Emerald necklace. Acquired by Deborah Mayfair in 17th century Amsterdam with Lasher's help, it is the outward symbol of the Designee of the Legacy, and a key to a doorway.

What would such a piece of jewelry looked like, though?  I've talked about this in various places around the Parlor, but then I decided to see if I could find out what such a necklace might have looked like.  Starting with the descriptions of the necklace from The Witching Hour, I went on what one could call a sort of "deep dive" to see what I could find.

I'm gathering the results of this dive into history on this new page of the Parlor: Family Jewels: The Mayfair Emerald.  Of course, I am also designing a 3D model of the Mayfair emerald necklace of the novels that is more historically accurate, which is also in keeping with the novels.

This, too, is a work in progress as I gather details together.  I do have some fantastic images of emeralds and settings from various historical periods to show, and they are astonishing.  For those of you who are Vampire Chronicles fans and familiar with Aunt Queen's love of cameo jewelry, I've even found a few cameos that have emeralds in them!

This little page will soon start to feature some of the pieces I've managed to find images of, along with links to resources to learn more about them.  So if you should happen to drop by an estate sale...or find yourself having to hold an estate sale...

Please keep checking this new page as more is learned about the unique and mysterious emerald...

The Mayfair Emerald in a velvet case....the one from Hershman's?